Camping and Horses
WELCOME TO CAMPING AND HORSES FORUM. PLEASE ASK ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT CAMPING WITH HORSES. WHERE TO CAMP ? WHAT DO I NEED?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Camping and Horses
WELCOME TO CAMPING AND HORSES FORUM. PLEASE ASK ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT CAMPING WITH HORSES. WHERE TO CAMP ? WHAT DO I NEED?
Camping and Horses
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

containing your equines in camp

2 posters

Go down

containing your equines in camp Empty Electric not usually good in Arizona

Post  aztrailrider Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi,

We live in SE Arizona and camp here and in other parts of the southwest quite often. Electric fencing is not so good here where the ground is very dry and rocky. The dryness makes the conductivity poor and the rockiness makes it hard to get the fiberglass poles securely into the ground.

If you can get both panels and electric, then you would be ready for any type of terrain. I had portable
panels, but my horse walked around with them, so now we highline between the trailer and a tree. If there
is no tree available, we have an upright post that fits into our "bumper pull" trailer hitch and we use that
as our tree. We have never used trailer mounted panels, but our friends did. They eventually gave it
up because it was so much work to set up and take down panels, but they had a large pen for two horses.

Jan

aztrailrider

Back to top Go down

containing your equines in camp Empty containing your equines in camp

Post  Ridgerider Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Hello fellow riders!
A question to any of you that camp with your horses. I'm new at this, but would like your opinions on how you contain your horses.
I'm particularly entertaining 2 options - electric fence, or portable steel fence panels locked together and anchored to my steel trailer to create a small paddock. I've got a 15-2 hands Percheron/quarter horse-a very mellow kind of guy. Any thoughts much appreciated. Also a source where I can purchase either option is most welcome.
Thanks.

Ridgerider

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum